Of them Georgia tennis players have been banned to participate in the Tokyo Olympics after officials in their home country fail to send the required documents.
Oksana Kalashnikova and Ekaterine Gorgodze had been told by officials that they had been entered in the Olympic tennis event, but were furious when they found out they were not.
SCANDAL: Judo athlete sent home for refusing to fight Israeli
‘SHAME ON YOU’: Broadcaster attacks Australian Olympics blunder
They took their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which dismissed their appeal on Saturday.
CAS decided it should refuse doubles players because they had never been officially entered for the Games, even though the Georgia Olympic Committee “informed the candidates that their candidacy had been submitted”.
Without official registration for the Olympic Games, the CAS ruled that “the consequence, as unfortunate for the two athletes, can only be the rejection of their petition”.
American tennis writer Ben Rothenberg reported that Kalashnikova and Gorgodze could potentially sue the Georgian Olympic Committee.
“Looks like they could probably sue the Georgian federations involved, but certainly no recourse to participate in a tournament which is already ready,” he tweeted.
Polish swimmers sent home for shocking administrative error
The stuffing comes a few days later six Polish swimmers were sent home of the Tokyo Games due to an administrative error.
Poland had sent 23 swimmers to Japan, but the country’s swimming federation was forced to reduce the squad to 17 based on the qualifying rules of the world governing body FINA.
President Pawel Slominski apologized and said he fully understood the anger of the swimmers who returned home.
“I express great regret, sadness and bitterness at the situation related to the qualification of our swimmers for the Tokyo Olympics,” Slominski said in a statement.
“Such a situation should not take place, and the reaction of the swimmers, their emotions, the attack on the Polish Swimming Federation is understandable and justified to me.”
He said the error was due to “the desire to allow as many players and coaches as possible to participate in the Games”.
Media identified the six swimmers as Alicja Tchorz, Bartosz Piszczorowicz, Aleksandra Polanska, Mateusz Chowaniec, Dominika Kossakowska and Jan Holub.
Tchorz, who competed in the 2012 and 2016 Games, expressed his anger on social media.
“Imagine dedicating five years of your life and fighting for another start at the most important sporting event… giving up your privacy and your job, sacrificing your family… your dedication ends in total failure,” she said. declared on Facebook.
Chowaniec added on Instagram: “I am deeply shocked by what happened … this is an absurd situation for me that should never have happened. In fact, I hope to eventually wake up from this nightmare. . “
Swimming news site Swim swam reported that several Polish swimmers had signed an open letter to the PZP requesting the resignation of the entire board of the organization.
Watch ‘Mind Games’, Yahoo Sport Australia’s new series exploring the often brutal mental work of elite athletes in search of greatness:
Click here to sign up for our newsletter for all the latest breaking up stories from Australia and around the world.