Dethroned Djokovic sends message to new tennis number 1 Medvedev – RT Sport News

0

Novak Djokovic has spoken to Daniil Medvedev after his Russian rival ended his long number one career

Novak Djokovic has sent a message to the man who inflicted his first shock defeat of the year and new world number one Daniil Medvedev after losing at the Dubai Open in his first tournament since his controversial failure to win the right to defend his Australian Open title.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion was beaten in straight sets in the quarter-finals by world number 123 Jiri Vesely on Thursday, ensuring Medvedev reached the top of the leaderboard for the first time before even overtaking Yoshihito Nishioka to reach last four. of the Mexican Open.

The upset gave Vesely a record two wins in two matches against Djokovic and the tennis icon was magnanimous in defeat after his long-awaited comeback came to an unexpected end.


“Well done,” said Djokovic, who had his visa canceled in Australia because he had not been vaccinated against Covid, a requirement that was not imposed on players by the organizers of the ATP event. 500 from Dubai.

“It was a great match. I wish you good luck for the rest of the tournament.

“Congratulations also to a very deserving [Medvedev]who will now become world number one.”

Djokovic was the last world number two in January 2020, although he could face a battle to reclaim the top spot if he follows through on his suggestion he could miss major tournaments rather than take a beating from Covid .

The tennis ranking point system challenges players to “defend” points based on their accomplishments from the previous year. Djokovic had an extraordinary 2021, winning three Grand Slam titles before falling to Medvedev at the final hurdle in New York.

Medvedev set up a semi-final repeat in Acapulco of his clash with Nadal at the Australian Open, when the Spaniard edged out a five-set thriller to win the title.

“Of course I’m happy to reach number one,” he said. “That was my goal since I was young.”

The 26-year-old admitted he was affected by the news that Russia had launched an offensive in Ukraine earlier today.

“In these moments, you understand that sometimes tennis is not that important,” he reflected, adding that his compatriot Andrey Rublev’s doubles victory with Ukrainian Denys Molchanov at the Marseille Open last week was “Amazing because people need to stick together.”

“It wasn’t easy to play and I’m happy that I managed to win the match, but it was a rollercoaster day for me.

“Watching the news from home, waking up here in Mexico, hasn’t been easy. Being a tennis player, I want to promote peace all over the world.

“We play in so many different countries; I’ve been to so many countries as a junior and as a pro. It’s just not easy to hear all this news. I’m for peace.”

Share.

Comments are closed.